Saturday 24 January 2015

The Murder of Adam and Eve by William Dietrich

When 16-year-old Nick Brynner becomes too interested in a fort on a forbidden island, with many secrets stashed inside, he decides to kayak there, in hope of finding out more about this mysterious place. What comes next definitely wasn't what he expected as he is sent through a time wormhole to an abandoned village, chased by a a gargoyle looking create and is saved by a pretty blonde with piercing bright blue eyes, Eleanor Terrell. In a thrilling quick paced journey, these two teens are set a series of life threatening challenges by an alien race, the Xu, and are time travelled back to prehistoric Africa to judge whether to save ancestors "Adam" and "Eve" in fear of a reset of the current population. Now they are against the clock to save their ancestors, the whole human race but also themselves.

MY REVIEW
4 of 5 stars

Firstly I would like to thank  Burrows Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this  amazing book.

When first reading about this book I was sceptical about how good it was going to be due to never reading a book quite like this. But boy was I wrong. I fell in love with this book from the very beginning.

The main talent of William Dietrich's writing was how thought provoking it was. Throughout the book it was making me question myself and everything I have learnt about the world and history. It made me question how we could get from the stage of prehistoric Africa, being beautifully described by Dietrich in this book, of basically freedom to the modern world today. It really made me think about all the implications and problems Man have done to the world: pollution, wars, conflicts, crime. It made me realise how many of our actions as a human race have impacted dramatically on the planet we live on today. This was brilliantly done by Dietrich because not only did he get me thinking, he was showing this struggle that Nick had himself, thinking all of these big questions about the nature of our planet and whether it would be better to start everything again or carry on how we are. This is the first ever book that has made me think in such a way.

The storyline was pure genius and this is why I love this book so much as this is such a unique idea to many other books I have read in the same genre. I like how Dietrich constructed the Adam and Eve characters in a more historic and scientific way rather than the biblical side of them. This story also helped me in understanding more about science and how humanity was started as it made me consider the scientific aspect of Adam and Eve with the explanation of individuals today DNA being traced back to two individuals in the prehistoric times. Dietrich's writing is so impressive in how he can get his reader to consider different sides of theories and make us want to know more about where we have actually come from. But also I like the inclusion of the alien race, the Xu, as it brings more of an intense feel to the text as constantly I was thinking about them and what they were going to do to Nick and Ellie, Adam and Eve and the whole population of the human race.

All I have left to say is thank you William Dietrich for bringing prehistoric Africa and the individuals of this time to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment